Monday 25 August 2014

Hampton Court

With our new mate/Auntie Becky's new boyfriend. He was a bit wooden. Like our jokes.

Made it through to the middle of the maze!


We were wandering along when Catherine Howard (no less) stopped the girls and asked them to deliver a love letter (which she is reading aloud here) to Thomas Culpepper. They were instructed not to hand it over to anyone but Tom.

Catherine's cousin Mary tried very hard to get the letter from Edie, but Edie managed to hand it over to Mr Culpepper.


Unfortunately, Thomas Culpepper was easier to break than our Edie, and he handed the letter over to King Henry VIII when he asked to see it. The king thought the letter was intended for him and the rest, as they say, is history ...





The court jester



Hampton Court was awesome. But also scary. I wouldn't like to live there. My favourite rooms were the toilet and the bedroom. The toilet had a velvet seat and looked very old. It was a bit like a box with a hole in it. Dad leaned in too far to look at it and set the alarm off. (He says he really needed to do a wee.) The bed is the kind of bed I'd like to have. It's very royal. It has curtains hanging down the side. (I think the curtains are for privacy.) When Catherine Howard got executed her ghost was said to haunt the castle. Auntie Becky heard a door creaking. SPPPOOooookkkkyyyy!!!
Della

Everyone said that the palace was haunted. I reckon that it is just some silly sound effects. But, I did get my scare that day. We were walking back through the cellar and there was this really pale lady sitting in a corner texting on her phone, when she made a sudden movement and I (I had not seen her there before) jumped! And then she jumped! She really looked like a ghost! But when I looked closer up I could tell that she was human! Anyway, another highlight was the play. I think when the letter got into the king's hands (all part of the play) Della got a bit worried that Catherine Howard would be angry with us for letting it fall in the wrong hands! Mary even tried bribing me with her pretty necklace. Dad thought that I should give in! We saw our first white swan in the lake outside. Very beautiful and graceful. :-)
Edie



8 comments:

  1. How lovely to get back to Hampton Court, Jenny. Sounds more interesting now than 30+ years ago. I'm glad you had so much fun, Edie and Della and lovely to have Auntie Becky and her 'new boyfriend' with you! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many great memories of our 1980 trip there, Mum - including being upset about Susan photobombing a pic I was taking of Auntie Marge in front of the fountain. We re-enacted the pic with Becky and Edie ;-) Also had a great visit to the palace with Gregor and Pamela in the early 00s

      Delete
    2. I played Auntie Marge - hope I did the original photo justice!

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see you all at Hampton Court. We had a lovely day there with Aunty Becky too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, Becky was reminiscing about her visit there with you ...

      Delete
    2. We had a great time didn't we Sue. Also visited with Quentin, Tracey, Callum and Hamish. It's a real Denholm 'haunt', pardon the pun. xx

      Delete
  3. it sounds like fun
    I wish we went there

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so glad you are having a great trip and very jealous of you missing school. Sophie wants Della to come for a sleep over when you are back as she missed her birthday party x. lots of Love Rachel, Sophie and Emily Hill.

    ReplyDelete